Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
American Airlines has always offered status challenges for its frequent flyers. However, it was indefinitely suspended when the carrier introduced the new Loyalty Points system to its AAdvantage program earlier in 2022.
Now, the wait is over because American is launching status challenges again, and it even gets a new name. The new program is now called “Instant Status Pass.”
Read More: Which Airline Programs Offer A Status Match?
What Is the AAdvantage Instant Status Pass Program?
The new Instant Status Pass program is more complicated than before. Traditionally, status challenges require you to complete a challenge before you can maintain your status for one additional year.
However, the new status challenge requires members to complete the challenges in three stages before they can be awarded with a status.
How To Enroll In the AA Status Challenge Program?
You need to check if you received an offer in your AAdvantage account. Alternatively, you can call customer service (800-882-8880) to verify if you’re qualified for the promotion.
The challenge may or may not be free, but normally, it comes with cost that is based on the member’s existing status and the status that he/she is aiming for.
After you’ve successfully enrolled, there will be four phases that you need to complete in order to maintain your status:
- Phase 1: Receive elite status for 4 months and you can maintain that status for another 4 months if you earn the required number of Loyalty Points.
- Phase 2: Recieve your elite status for an additional 4 months and you can maintain that status for another 4 months if you earn the required number of Loyalty Points.
- Phase 3: Recieve your elite status for an additional 4 months and you can maintain that status for 1 additional year if you earn the required number of Loyalty Points.
The required number of Loyalty Points that you need to earn in Phase One depends on the elite status that you’re aiming for.
- AAdvantage Gold: Requires earning 10,000 Loyalty Points in the first four months.
- AAdvantage Platinum: Requires earning 25,000 Loyalty Points in the first four months.
- AAdvantage Platinum Pro: Requires earning 42,000 Loyalty Points in the first four months.
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum: Requires earning 67,000 Loyalty Points in the first four months.
We don’t have that much information with regards to the requirements for the second phase and third phase but instructions will be given to you via email.
The new AAdvantage status challenge is a great way to keep members engaged in the program but we think that it’s quite complicated for the average consumer.
Additionally, there’s no published requirements for the second and third phase so you don’t know what to expect, whether it’s going to be expensive or not.
What do you think of American Airline’s new Instant Status Pass program?
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.