Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
Capital One has announced its first venture into the premium travel rewards credit card with eh unveiling of the new Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card. The new Capital One Miles earning card carries a host of premium features and includes an impressive 10X earnings on hotels but also carries a premium annual fee of $395.
The Capital One Venture X Card Key Features
- Earn a 75,000-mile welcome bonus after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
- Earn 10X on hotels and car rentals booked through Capital One Travel.
- Earn 5X for flights booked via Capital One Travel.
- Earn 2X on everything else.
- Receive 10,000 bonus miles every account opening anniversary after your first anniversary.
- Receive up to a $100 credit towards Global Entry or TSA PreCheck.
- Receive up to a $300 annual credit for bookings made using Capita One Travel.
- Complimentary Access to Capital One Lounges and Priority Pass lounges internationally.
- A $395 annual fee.
10X Earnings on Hotels and Car Rentals
10X earning on hotels and car rentals booked through Capital One Travel makes the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card industry-leading and your go-to card for those categories of bookings. While some hotel co-branded credit cards offer you a greater multiplier for a hotel booking, these only apply to a specific hotel brand not across the board like with the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card. For cards that earn flexible credit card points, the Venture X card stands top of the pile with the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, which also offers 10X earnings on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
While not industry-leading and other cards like The Platinum Card® from American Express deliver more lounges, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card still has a strong offering for a premium credit card. While currently, the list of Capital One lounges is relatively small, it is growing and includes facilities in Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, and Dulles, and the lounges offer an excellent experience, including:
- High-Speed Wi-Fi
- Grab-and-Go Food
- Dining Stations
- Fully Stocked Bars
- Coffee Bars
- Quiet Work Zones With Charge-Up Areas
- Relaxation Rooms
- Luggage Lockers
- Cycling and Yoga Rooms
- Shower Suites
- Family-Friendly Environment
- Parent’s Rooms
- Multi-Faith Rooms
In addition to the great lounges, you will also have access to the Priority Pass network of lounges.
If you add an authorized user to your Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card, then they will also receive complimentary unlimited access to lounges and will receive two complimentary guest visits.
Capital One Travel Features
Several card issuers have travel portals, with many offering multiple features and perks. The Capital One Travel portal is no different and delivers some industry-leading features that are hard to beat, including:
- Price freezing: You can lock in a price for 14 days and then return to book it. Giving you some time to budget and adequately plan for your trip.
- Free Price Drop Protection: When Capital One recommends that you buy a ticket now, it will automatically apply price drop protection. For a given period of time after the booking (approx. 10 days), Capital One will monitor the booking price and, if it drops, will refund you the difference up to a limit of $50 per ticket.
- Travel Price Prediction with 24/7 alerts: Looking at the historical trends for a ticket, the Capital One Travel portal can look at the price of a ticket and determine whether it’s a good deal or not. If you are interested in a specific flight, you can set an alert for it, and you will be notified when it is the right time to snap it up.
$395 Annual Fee
While $395 is a lot of cash for an annual fee, it stacks up very well amongst its main competitors. When you consider that the Chase Sapphire Reserve carries a $550 annual fee and the American Express Platinum card carries an enormous $695 annual fee(See Rates and Fees), the Venture X annual fee seems to be very competitive. The Capital One Venture X card annual fee is industry-leading for a premium travel rewards credit card relative to its competitors.
We are excited about the new Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card; the card is an excellent premium allrounder with generous perks in most categories and some industry-leading benefits in others. Couple those with an excellent network of transfer partners and the very reasonable annual fee for a premium credit card, and the Venture X becomes a no-brainer.
If you want to switch flexible reward currencies or start collecting travel rewards, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card should be on your shortlist!
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.