Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
The Delta Platinum Credit Card from American Express ranks as one of the top-tier cards in the Amex-Delta co-branded line. It comes with a lot of value and it’s a popular card among Delta devotees despite its $250 annual fee as of the time of this writing.
It’s one of those travel credit cards which come with an annual companion certificate, free checked bag on all Delta Flights, and zero foreign transaction fees. However, if you’re still undecided to get the card, here’s more information that you need to know.
Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Welcome Bonus
The card lets you earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after you spend $2,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
Apart from that, you’ll also earn 10,000 MQMs more if you are able to spend $25,000 in a calendar year (up to 2x per year giving you a chance to earn up to 20,000 MQMs).
Take note that regular miles are used to redeem rewards within the Delta SkyMiles frequent flyer program. Gift cards, merchandise, airline tickets, and seat upgrades are some examples of the redemption categories available.
Meanwhile, MQMs are used to determine if you’re qualified to get elite status in the Delta Medallion Program. It’s an extended program made for the most loyal Delta flyers and it comes with exclusive perks.
You’ll see a complete list of rewards on the Delta SkyMiles website. But first, you need to earn miles to redeem them, and here are four ways on how to do it:
● Earn 3 miles per $1 when you make direct purchases with Delta or on direct hotel bookings
● Earn 2 miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. Supermarkets
● Earn 1 mile per $1 on all other eligible purchases
For purchases that fall under two or more categories mentioned above, the higher mileage rate will apply.
What’s great about Delta miles is that they don’t expire too!
Additional Card Benefits
If you list down all the travel benefits that the Delta SkyMiles Platinum card offers, the $250 annual fee is definitely worth it.
Most top-tier Amex-Delta cards come with default travel features that cardholders can benefit from such as extended warranties, car rental insurance, and buyer protection.
However, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum card does have more unique features for its members.
Travel Insurance & Perks
● Priority Boarding & Free Checked Bag – Get your fees waived on your first checked bag when you fly Delta. Checked bags can cost up to $60 in total for round-trip flights. Just fly at least 4-5 times a year and you can easily compensate for the annual fee. In addition, you get to have priority boarding to avoid the big crowds.
● Trip Delay & Baggage Insurance – Get insurance coverage of up to $300 per trip for delayed trips, up to $1250 for carry-on luggage, and up to $500 for checked luggage.
● Annual Companion Certificate– Bring someone with you for free when you fly a domestic economy round-trip flight. This feature renews every year whenever you renew your card.
Travel Discounts & Credits
● Status Boost – Reach Medallion status faster with Status Boost. You can earn an additional 10,0000 MQMs when you spend $25,000 in a calendar year (up to 2x per year).
● 20% Discount On In-Flight Savings – Get 20% off on eligible in-flight purchases in the form of a statement credit.
● Discounted SkyClub Rates – You can purchase SkyClub tickets for only $39 per visit. You will have access to free snacks, WiFi, drinks, resting areas, and more. The primary cardholders two traveling companions can also avail the discounted rate.
● Statement Credit For Global Entry & TSA Pre-check – Global Entry and TSA Pre-check memberships cost $100 and $85 respectively. Just get the membership the normal way and you’ll get a reimbursement.
Should I Get The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card?
With the benefits listed above, you’re probably thinking that you should get it, but hold your horses first, because the card isn’t for everyone.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum card works best for Delta flyers who are taking multiple trips per year since it can potentially save them hundreds of dollars on checked bags. The card’s complimentary companion certificate is also perfect for people who take anniversary or honeymoon trips every year.
If you’re also aiming to reach Medallion status, the card is also a surefire way to reach at least Silver status if you meet the spending requirements. For Delta loyalists who don’t want annual fees, you can opt for the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card instead which comes with a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year (then $99).
Here’s a quick breakdown of the pros and cons that can help you decide too:
- Gives a quick boost towards elite status
- Numerous convenient travel perks
- Annual companion certificate
- Non-expiring miles
- High annual fee
- No awards chart and has dynamic pricing
Pro Tip: How To Use The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
The current offer does not offer any bonus MQMs, however, make big purchases on flights and hotels so you can get triple the miles and reach the spending cap for the additional MQM bonus at the same time.
Remember, if you spend $25,000 twice within a single year, you’ll get an additional 20,000 MQMs. If you add all the MQMs you’ve earned, you’ll reach Silver status in just one year.
Alternative: Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business Card
Why get the business versions of the card? What’s the difference? Well, if you’re a businessman who frequently flies around and stays at hotels, you’d benefit a lot from the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express.
The welcome offer is 60,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after spending $3,000 in the first three months. However, the business version of the card comes with a $100 statement credit.
Platinum Business cardholders will earn 3x miles per dollar on Delta Purchases and direct hotel bookings. They’ll also earn 1.5x miles per dollar on single eligible purchases that are worth $5,000 or more (up to 50,000 additional miles per year). All other purchases are 1 mile per dollar.
The main difference between the personal and business versions of the card is its earning categories. But if you’re really struggling in picking the right card and maximizing your points, you can sign up for our travel concierge and get an unlimited credit card and award booking assistance.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.