Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum card ranks as one of the top-tier cards in the Amex-Delta co-branded line. It comes with a lot of value and it’s a popular card among Delta devotees despite its $250 annual fee.
Some of the key features of this card are the annual companion certificate, free checked bag, and zero foreign transaction fees. However, if you’re still undecided to get the card, here’s more information that you need to know.
Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Welcome Bonus
New cardholders can get a welcome bonus of 45,000 miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles if they spend a total of $3,000 on purchases within three months. If you make any eligible Delta purchase within those same three months and you’ll get an additional $100 statement credit.
Take note that regular miles are used to redeem rewards within the Delta SkyMiles frequent flyer program. Gift cards, merchandise, airline tickets, and seat upgrades are some examples of the redemption categories available.
Meanwhile, MQMs are used to determine if you’re qualified to get elite status in the Delta Medallion Program. It’s an extended program made for the most loyal Delta flyers and it comes with exclusive perks.
You’ll see a complete list of rewards on the Delta SkyMiles website. But first, you need to earn miles to redeem them, and here are four ways on how to do it:
● Earn 3 miles per $1 when you make direct purchases with Delta or on direct hotel bookings
● Earn 1.5 miles per $1 when you spend over $5,000 on single eligible purchases
● Earn 1 mile per $1 on other purchases
For purchases that fall under two or more categories mentioned above, the higher mileage rate will apply. For example, if you have a single purchase worth $5,000 made directly with Delta, you’ll be earning 3 miles per $1 instead of 1.5 miles per $1.
What’s great about Delta miles is that they don’t expire too!
Additional Card Benefits
If you list down all the travel benefits that the Delta SkyMiles Platinum card offers, the $250 annual fee is definitely worth it.
Most top-tier Amex-Delta cards come with default travel features that cardholders can benefit from such as extended warranties, car rental insurance, and buyer protection.
However, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum card does have more unique features for its members.
● Priority Boarding & Free Checked Bag – Waived of your fees on your first checked bag when you fly Delta. Checked bags can cost up to $60 in total for round-trip flights. Just fly at least 4-5 times a year and you can easily compensate for the annual fee. In addition, you get to have priority boarding to avoid the big crowds.
● Trip Delay & Baggage Insurance – Get an insurance coverage of up to $300 per trip for delayed trips, up to $1250 for carry-on luggage, and up to $500 for checked luggage.
Travel Discounts & Credits
● Annual Companion Certificate – Bring someone with you for free when you fly a domestic economy round-trip flight. This feature renews every year whenever you renew your card.
● Status Boost – Reach Medallion status faster with Status Boost. Apart from 5,000 MQMs welcome bonus, you can earn an additional 10,0000 MQMs when you spend $25,000 in a calendar year (up to 2x per year).
● 20% Discount On In-Flight Savings – Get 20% off on eligible in-flight purchases in the form of a statement credit.
● Discounted SkyClub Rates – You can purchase SkyClub tickets at only $39 per visit. You will have access to free snacks, WiFi, drinks, resting areas, and more. The primary cardholders two traveling companions can also avail the discounted rate.
● Statement Credit For Global Entry & TSA Pre-check – Global Entry and TSA Pre-check memberships cost $100 and $85 respectively. Just get the membership the normal way and you’ll get a reimbursement.
Should I Get The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card?
With the benefits listed above, you’re probably thinking that you should get it, but hold your horses first, because the card isn’t for everyone.
The Delta SkyMiles Platinum card works best for Delta flyers who are taking multiple trips per year since it can potentially save them hundreds of dollars on checked bags. The card’s complimentary companion certificate is also perfect for people who take anniversary or honeymoon trips every year.
If you’re also aiming to reach Medallion status, the card is also a sure-fire way to reach at least Silver status if you meet the spending requirements. For Delta loyalists who don’t want annual fees, you can opt for the Delta SkyMiles Gold instead.
Here’s a quick break down of the pros and cons that can help you decide too:
- Gives a quick boost towards elite status
- Numerous convenient travel perks
- Annual companion certificate
- Non-expiring miles
- High annual fee
- No awards chart and has dynamic pricing
Pro Tip: How To Use The Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card
If you already have the card or have decided to get one, you need to spend $3,000 within three months to get the welcome bonus of 45,000 miles and 5,000 MQMs.
Make big purchases on flights and hotels so you can get triple the miles and reach the spending cap for the additional MQM bonus at the same time.
Remember, if you spend $25,000 twice within a single year, you’ll get an additional 20,000 MQMs. If you add all the MQMs you’ve earned, you’ll reach Silver status in just one year.