Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
A Beginners Guide to Airport Lounges
Whether you’re a points hacker or not, airport lounges are pretty popular in the travel community. But for those who have no idea what they are, they’re high end private waiting areas that are usually reserved for first-class and business class passengers.
Is It Only For Business Or First Class Travelers?
Short Answer: No.
People often think airport lounges are only for “high-profile” travelers, but that’s not always the case. You can get into different airport lounges all around the world even if you’re just flying in coach.
Having different credit cards may give you access to these lounges. Here are two other ways to access them as well:
- Buy A Day Pass – Day passes are perfect for cardholders who don’t have annual fees or have fees below $100. They usually cost between $25 – $100 and you’ll have access to multiple lounges within a day. It’s perfect for people who have long-haul flights and want to feel comfortable throughout their travels.
- Access Your Free Annual Membership – Some premium credit cards with annual fees of $300+ offer annual lounge access for their cardholders. For example, The Ritz-Carlton visa infinite card gives you free access to over 1000+ Priority Pass lounges.
Benefits Of Airport Lounges
Airport lounges are some of the greatest creations since air travel itself! They’re perfect for travelers who want to have a break from the hustle and bustle – especially on long-haul flights. The benefits and perks includes:
- Spacious Seats – Lounges have comfortable seating where you can relax and have a good time.
- Free WiFi – Almost all lounges have free WiFi, so you can send emails or connect with people on social media.
- Charging/Work Stations – This is perfect for businessmen or digital nomads who need to get work done while they’re traveling.
- Unlimited Beverages – Alcohol and fresh juices are typically free but the types of drinks available vary by airport.
- Food – Some airport lounges offer light snacks and meals, although some have full-course buffets.
- Sleeping/Shower Areas – Not all lounges have these but it’s perfect for people who have long layovers and want to freshen up a little bit.
- Massages – These may come at an extra fee although some airlines have complimentary vouchers where you can get massages for free.
Airport lounges aren’t just luxury places for business/first-class travelers. Any passenger can get access to these lounges if you have the right credit cards. So start building your credit history or pay off some loans to qualify for the best credit cards that have annual access to these lounges.