Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
The Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express is perfect for flyers who are Delta loyalists. It’s actually a popular choice among travel hackers because Delta airlines is a major carrier that has regular flights to over 170 countries.
Imagine yourself getting a free flight to any of these countries, wouldn’t that be great? Not to mention, you’ll also get additional perks that come along with the card.
Delta SkyMiles Gold Rewards Program
Currently, they’re offering 70,000 bonus miles if you use your card to spend $2000 within the first three months of signing up (Offer ends 4/28/2021)
You’ll also get a $100 Delta Flight credit once you spend $10,000 worth of purchases within a calendar year.
This means that you can choose any date you want whenever you’re ready to travel.
Cardholders will also earn 2x miles per dollar spent on Delta purchases, worldwide restaurants (including takeout and delivery), and on U.S supermarkets. All non-eligible purchases are at 1 mile per dollar.
Delta SkyMiles Gold Benefits
One checked bag usually costs $30 for a one-way flight, but cardholders can get one checked bag for free on all Delta flights. This feature also applies to traveling companions of up to 8 people just as long as the reservation is booked under the cardholder’s name.
The card has a $0 annual fee introductory offer and would have an ongoing fee of $99 per year. If you do the math, you just need to fly two round trip flights, avail your free checked bags, and it would compensate your annual fee.
You’ll also get priority boarding on all Delta flights and a 20% cashback from your in-flight purchases. A $100 Delta flight credit will also be awarded to you if you spend $10,000 within a calendar year. This bonus isn’t too hard to get if you’re a big spender or a frequent flyer.
Insurance, Buyer Protection & Other Perks
Apart from the major perks listed above, the Delta SkyMiles Gold also comes with additional perks that people often forget about.
- Zero foreign transaction fees – This just shows that this card is perfect for travelers because you can shop anywhere in the world without having to pay for fees. Foreign transaction fees usually cost 3% per transaction.
- Extended warranty – You can get an additional year for warranties from partner manufacturers.
- Car rental insurance – Use your credit card to pay for car rental services and you’ll get theft and damage insurance.
- Return/Purchase protection – When you use your card to purchase any item, it will be eligible for return or purchase protection of up to $1000. Protection is valid within 90 days.
- Exclusive access to presales – You’ll have priority access to ticket sales, and other VIP events.
- Free ShopRunner membership – Keep your Delta SkyMiles card membership active and you’ll have a free ShopRunner membership. You’ll get free two-day shipping from over a hundred online merchants.
Why You Should Get This Card
The reason why you want to get this travel credit card is that it offers non-expiring miles, priority boarding, and free checked bags. If you frequently fly with your families and friends, you get to save thousands of dollars on checked bags alone.
In addition, you’ll be qualified for the Delta Medallion Program quickly since you’ll be flying with Delta airlines most of the time. Reaching Medallion status comes with more perks and benefits that are not available for regular SkyMiles members.
Why You May Get Other Other Cards
Delta SkyMiles Gold stopped offering access to Delta SkyClub lounges so that’s a major drawback on why you may want another card. It doesn’t make sense because the card forces you to fly Delta so you can maximize the benefits, but you have no free access to its airport lounge.
Should I Get The Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Card?
Why should you get the Gold Delta Skymiles Business Card from American Express? The business version and the regular version have a few similarities such as the $100 Delta Flight Credit.
However, there are major differences since both cards cater to different markets. For starters, the business card has a bigger bonus offer which is 40,000 Delta SkyMiles after spending $2,000 within three months of account opening.
Here are the miles earnings:
- 2x on Delta purchases
- 2x on eligible U.S. advertising purchases in select media
- 2x on eligible U.S. shipping purchases
- 2x on eligible purchases at restaurants
- 1x on other purchases
You can see that the miles earnings are very focused on business expenses compared to the regular version which focuses on restaurants and U.S. supermarkets.
Picking the right card depends on your lifestyle and your spending habits. If you need credit card or award booking assistance, you can sign up to our travel concierge and get unlimited consultation for one whole year.