Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
Finally, US resident Aeroplan fans can earn Aeroplan points for everyday spending using the new Chase Aeroplan World Elite Mastercard Credit Card. The new card is making its grand entrance today, December 2, 2021, and brings with it a host of features and benefits, a fantastic welcome bonus, and carries a reasonable annual fee of $95.
Chase Aeroplan Credit Card Key Features
- For a limited time, you receive two Welcome Flight Reward Certificates valid for up to 50,000 points each, when you spend $4,000 in the first three months of card membership.
- Earn 3X points for every dollar spent directly with Air Canada.
- Earn 3X points for spending at restaurants, takeout, and qualifying delivery services.
- Earn 3X points at grocery stores.
- Earn 1X points per dollar for all other spending.
- Receive a 500-point bonus for each $2,000 you spend on your card per month, up to a maximum of 1,500 bonus points per month.
- Receive a $100 credit towards TSA Precheck, NEXUS, or Global Entry once every 4 years when the application fee is charged to your card.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- The card carries a $95 annual fee
Flight Reward Certificates Welcome Bonus
If you are smart about your redemption strategy, the two Welcome Flight Reward Certificates can be redeemed for some incredible value. Particularly if you take advantage of Aeroplan’s new award chart and some of the best sweet spots out there.
One-way business class awards on partner airlines between some west coast US and Canada destinations to Tokyo squeeze in at under 5,000 miles flown. This means they will set you back 55,000 points one way. Using your certificate plus 5,000 points for this route is a great deal and will save you several thousand dollars.
Alternatively, if you are looking to head south for the winter, there are several routes from the US to destinations in South America that come in at under 4,500 miles, making them a treat at 50,000 points for oneway business class awards.
One of the more exciting options above would be for flights from Miami to Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo in Brazil or even to Buenos Aires in Argentina will all come in under 4,500 miles. Using your certificates for a return in business class to these destinations with a partner airline would work out as a saving of several thousand dollars.
This is a fantastic rate for an airline co-brand credit card and puts the Chase Aeroplan World Elite Mastercard Credit Card very close to the top pile for 2021 grocery-earning credit cards. The only card the beats this is the Amex Gold card which earns you 4X on groceries. However, bear in mind that 4X is capped on the first $25,000 of grocery spending per calendar year, not to mention the fact that the card carries a significant $250 annual fee. 3X on grocery with $95 annual fees means the new Aeroplan card is looking like our new go-to card for grocery shopping.
3X Points On flights Booked Directly With Air Canada
If you don’t hold any other cards, then 3X on flights booked directly with Air Canada is nothing to be sneezed at and can really boost your points earning when booking flights. One thing to remember is if you are an Air Canada fan, you have other better options open to you. If you hold the American Express Platinum Card, you can earn 5X points booked directly with the airline.
Using your Amex platinum card to book, you can then transfer your 5X earned membership rewards points to Aeroplan at a ratio of 1:1, effectively giving you 5X earnings on flights booked directly with Air Canada.
Aeroplan/Air Canada Travel Benefits
The Chase Aeroplan World Elite Mastercard Credit Card Delivers unprecedented levels of Aeroplan travel benefits, especially when you consider its low $95 annual fee. Cardholders receive the following benefits.
- Receive complimentary Aeroplan 25K Elite Status For the rest of the first year of card membership. Giving you things like early boarding, priority check-in, and more.
- You can maintain Aeroplan 25K Elite Status for subsequent years as follows:
- Spending $15,000 in a calendar year.
- If you already have status, after spending $50,000 in a calendar year, you will receive a boost to Aeroplan 35K Elite Status.
- The Primary cardmember receives one free checked bag on Air Canada flights, plus up to 8 bags for accompanying travelers on the same itinerary.
- After spending $100,000 on your card in a Calendar year, additional befits unlock, including companion benefits and 50% off Priority Rewards.
Aeroplan Credit Card Ancillary Protection Benefits
Like many Chase cards, the new Chase Aeroplan World Elite Mastercard Credit Card brings a wide range of protections with it when you use your card to pay for r goods or services. Cardholders can benefit from the following when paying with their card.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
- Baggage Delay Insurance
- Trip Delay Reimbursement
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Roadside Assistance
Green Carbon Offsetting Card Benefits
Cardmembers can reduce their carbon footprints for themselves and any accompanying travelers on the same reservation. When taking an award flight, Aeroplan will purchase carbon offsets for card members traveling on segments with Air Canada, Air Canada Express, and Air Canada Rouge.
Future Card Benefits
In the future, you will be able to use your Aeroplan points to pay for multiple travel purchases with any airline, hotel, car rental, and more. Points can be redeemed for these purchases at a rate of 1.25 cents per point up to a maximum of 50,000 points per year (yielding $625) of value. This is an excellent innovation for a cobranded credit card, which typically only allows you to redeem points with the specific cobrand airline/hotel. The 1.25 cents per point rate is excellent value and is the same rate as Chase applies to Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned from the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
The launch of the new Chase Aeroplan World Elite Mastercard Credit Card is exciting news and finally brings the ability to earn Aeroplan points to US residents. To make the deal even sweeter, the card is virtually industry-leading on grocery spending, has a stunning welcome bonus for a limited time. Couple those with great Air Canada benefits, carbon offsetting, and a reasonable $95 annual fee, and we can’t wait to add to get our hands on the new Chase Aeroplan Card.