Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
The IHG Traveler Card is an entry-level card in the Chase/IHG co-branded lineup which comes with a solid rewards rate and a big welcome bonus.
With zero annual and foreign transaction fees, the IHG(R) Rewards Traveler Credit Card is perfect for casual travelers who want to earn points and redeem awards/perks on the IHG One Rewards loyalty program.
Who’s eligible for the card?
Anyone who doesn’t have an existing IHG Traveler card is eligible but just be mindful of the Chase 5/24 rule since the card is under the Chase lineup. It’s an unspoken rule within the points and credit card community wherein Chase would reject credit card applications from applicants who have had 5 credit card accounts in the past 24 months.
You also need to take note that the IHG Traveler card credit score requirement ranges from good to excellent so even though it’s an entry-level card, you can’t easily get approved for it if you have poor credit.
Before you sign up for the card, let’s find out more about its benefits and possible drawbacks.
Read More: Free Night Certificate And IHG Elite Status Extension Now Offered To Members
Being a no-annual-fee card, the IHG travel card is packed with decent travel perks! Here’s what cardholders should expect:
- Get an IHG traveler card bonus offer of 80,000 points after spending $2,000 within 3 months of card membership
- Earn 10,000 bonus points after spending $10,000 on the card in a calendar year.
- Earn up to 17X points per $1 at IHG® Hotels & Resorts
- Earn 3X points per $1 at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- Earn 2x points per $1 on all other purchases
- Get a free reward night when staying at any IHG hotel or affiliate for 3 or more nights
- Save 20% on point purchases
- Travel & Purchase protection
- No foreign transaction fees
IHG Traveler Card Bonus Offer
New cardholders can earn an IHG traveler card bonus offer of 80,000 IHG points after spending $2,000 within three months of account opening. Additionally, you’ll also earn 10,000 bonus points after spending $10,000 on the card in a calendar year.
You can then use these points to redeem award nights at more than 5,000 hotels worldwide. Here are other brands that the IHG group operates:
- Staybridge Suites
- Hotel Indigo
- Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Resort
- Candlewood Suites
- Even Hotels
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations
- Holiday Inn Express
- InterContinental Hotels & Resorts
- Crowne Plaza
- Kimpton Hotels
Apart from award nights, you can also redeem your points towards products on the IHG rewards portal, gift cards, and airline partners. Here is IHG’s current list of airline partners:
However, transferring your IHG points to airline partners may not be the best idea – some transfer ratios cost 5 IHG points in exchange for 1 point from an airline partner. IHG points get the best value at 6 cents apiece when redeemed towards hotel nights.
Apart from the IHG traveler card bonus offer, cardholders can also earn points when they spend on certain categories using their card.
- Earn a total of 17x points per dollar towards IHG purchases
- That’s 5X points with your card
- 10X points for being an IHG Rewards member
- 2X points because of your Silver Elite Status
- 3x points per dollar at gas stations, monthly bills, and restaurants
- 2x points on all other purchases
Fourth Reward Night
You’ll get a free reward night whenever you redeem an award stay of 3 nights or more. For example, if you redeem your points for an eight-night stay at an IHG hotel, you’ll pay zero points for your fourth and eighth nights. The discount will apply automatically after redemption.
Save 20% On Point Purchases
Apart from earning points through credit card purchases, you can also get more points by purchasing them with cash. The IHG Traveler Card currently offers a 20% discount whenever you buy IHG points.
Travel & Purchase Protection
Pay for your trip using your IHG Traveler card and receive up to $5,000 per person, $10,000 per covered trip, for qualifying non-reimbursable prepaid expenses.
For purchase protection, you can get coverage of up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account for items that were damaged or stolen within 120 days from the purchase date.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
Most credit cards have a foreign transaction of fee of up to 3% per transaction. The IHG Travel Card doesn’t have foreign transaction fees so it’s the perfect companion whenever you go on a shopping spree abroad.
Fast Track Your Way To Gold Elite Status
Spend at least $20,000 in purchases and make one additional purchase each calendar year to become eligible for Gold Elite status for the following year.
Having Gold Elite status can give you exclusive IHG perks such as:
- 10% bonus points when you use your card on IHG stays. This means that you’ll earn a total of 16x points per dollar).
- Late checkout (subject to availability)
- Priority check-in
- Welcome amenities on each stay (could be welcome points or a snack)
Who Can Benefit From The Card?
The IHG Traveler card can be for any frequent flyer or traveler but it’s best for people who are:
- Frequently staying at IHG hotels
- Booking at least 4 award nights every year
- Earning IHG points but don’t want to pay for annual fees
However, if you want to get elite status right away, you might want the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card. It does come with an $89 annual fee but it can give you solid perks such as the annual free night away.
IHG Travelers VS Premier Card
The IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card is far superior to the IHG Traveler Card. Here are some of its benefits:
- 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 within the first three months of account opening
- Free anniversary award night at eligible IHG hotels worldwide (valued at around $250)
- Free award night when you redeem your points for at least 3 or more award nights
- Earn up to 26 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, travel, and restaurants.
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get instant Platinum Elite status
- Global Entry, TSA Pre✔® or NEXUS application fee statement credit of up to $100 every 4 years
When comparing the cards, IHG Traveler VS Premier, the IHG Premier Card is a better option but if you’re just looking for a card that can earn IHG points, the IHG Traveler card would suffice.
IHG Traveler Card Pros & Cons
- Zero annual fees
- No foreign transaction fees
- Low spending threshold for the welcome bonus
- Not much in the way of perks beyond earning points
- Really only a good option for earning points on IHG stays
Read More: Is Hotel Or Airline Status Worth It?
Overall, the IHG Traveler Card is a great option for frequent visitors at IHG hotels but even if you’re not an IHG loyalist, you can still get the card because it doesn’t have an annual fee.
The card won’t do much in terms of travel benefits but it’s a great entry level card for those who want to earn IHG points and redeem award nights at IHG hotels.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.