Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is a premium travel and hotel credit card that comes with annual free stays, big welcome bonuses, and complimentary elite status. It also has a solid rewards program that can earn points to one of the most premium loyalty programs in the travel industry – the World of Hyatt Rewards.
The points you earn on your World of Hyatt Credit Card can be redeemed towards award stays on Hyatt’s extensive collection of hotels around the world. As of October 2021, Hyatt operates more than 700 hotels in 56 countries, including some of the most famous brands such as Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hyatt Resorts, and Hyatt Vacation Club.
If these perks have already got your attention, wait until we go into full detail of the card’s other benefits.
- Get up to 60,000 World of Hyatt points as a welcome bonus
- Earn up to 9x points per dollar for Hyatt stays and experiences (including restaurants and spas) and more rewards categories
- One World of Hyatt annual free night + one additional free night after spending $15,000 in a calendar year
- Elite status boost
- Travel protection
The card doesn’t have foreign transaction fees so it’s a great travel companion when you go on a shopping spree abroad. Foreign transaction fees usually cost between 1% – 3% per transaction.
Meanwhile, the World of Hyatt credit card annual fee is $95 which is a very reasonable price given the card’s benefits.
World of Hyatt Credit Card 60K Bonus
The World of Hyatt Credit Card lets you earn up to 60,000 welcome bonus points, and Hyatt Rewards say that its value is equivalent to 12 free nights at Category 1 hotels.
To earn the 60K bonus, here’s what new cardholders should do:
- Spend $3,000 within the first three months of card membership to get the first 30,000 bonus points
- Earn 2x points per dollar on up to $15,000 in purchases within the first six months of card membership – 2 x 15,000 = 30,000 bonus points
However, if you really want to be technical about the bonuses, the total points you’ll earn is just 45,000. The 30,000 points you’ll earn from the 2x multiplier is basically just 15,000 more points on top of the 15,000 points that you’d normally earn at 1x.
People who own the World of Hyatt Credit Card won’t just earn points on hotel stays but also on other travel categories that you’d normally spend on during trips.
Earn up to 9x points on Hyatt stays and experiences (including restaurants and spas):
- Earn 4x points per $1 when spending using your card
- Earn 5x base points per $1 when spending as a World of Hyatt member
Earn 2x points on multiple travel categories:
- Earn 2x points per $1 on local transit and commuting
- Earn 2x points per $1 on dining out at restaurants, cafes and coffee shops
- Earn 2x points per $1 on flights directly purchases from the airline
- Earn 2x points per $1 on fitness club and gym memberships
You get to earn 1x point per dollar for other expenses not included in the earning categories. And If you think that you’re not earning points as fast as you want to with your card, you can always buy points with cash!
World of Hyatt Rewards is currently offering a 30% discount when you buy at least 5,000 points. The promo is valid until December 31, 2021.
Get A Free Night Every Year
The World of Hyatt annual free night is one of the card’s main selling points. It’s an ongoing perk where cardholders can get to stay at any Category 1-4 hotel or resort. Additionally, you can get an extra free night at any Category 1-4 hotel when you spend $15,000 in a calendar year.
One award night at a Category 4 hotel can cost up to 15,000 points and that’s worth around $200-250 in cash which can cover the cost of your annual fees.
Instant Elite status
The World of Hyatt Rewards program has five status levels: Members, Discoverist, Explorist, Globalist, and Lifetime Globalist.
People who want to sign up for the World of Hyatt Credit card will get instant Discoverist status after getting approved for the card. Here are some of the benefits that Discoverist status holders will get:
- 10% bonus points on eligible purchases
- Elite check-in andlLate check-outs until 2PM
- Free room upgrades
- Free bottled water
- Free WiFi service
- Get Pearl Status when you avail the M Life Rewards Status match
Additionally, cardholders can also fast track their way towards Globalist status with the card’s bonus qualifying night credits.
- Get 5 qualifying night credits every year
- Get 2 additional qualifying night credits whenever you spend $5,000 on your card
You need a total of 20 Elite night credits if you want to move up from Discoverist status up to Explorist status. What you need to do is to just keep the card for the next two years to get a total of 10 annual elite night credits, and spend $15,000 every year for the next two years to get an additional 12 Elite Night credits. All in all, you’ll get 22 elite night credits.
The World of Hyatt credit card is a part of the Chase family so you’ll get the same travel protection benefits that all Chase cardholders get.
Here’s what you’ll get:
- Trip delay reimbursement – Get up to $500 in coverage per ticket on trips that are delayed for more than 12 hours.
- Baggage delay insurance – Get up to $100 in coverage per day in (up to 5 days) if your baggages are delayed for more than 6 hours.
- Lost luggage reimbursement – Lost or damaged luggage are covered up to $3,000 per passenger. Immediate family members who have tickets that were booked using the card are also eligible for the insurance.
- Trip interruption and trip cancellation insurance – Trips canceled by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, are covered up to $5,000 per trip. You can use the reimbursement for travel expenses such as fares, tours and hotels.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver – Get insurance coverage for theft and collision damage within the U.S. and abroad. In the U.S., the coverage kicks in after you used your primary insurance.
Who Can Benefit From The Card?
While the World of Hyatt Credit Card may not have premium perks that other hotel credit cards have, it’s still a pretty solid card.
The card is perfect for the not-so-frequent travelers and here’s why…
Even if you don’t meet the spending requirements for the World of Hyatt credit card 60K bonus (but make sure you do), just make sure that you redeem the free night award every year so you can cover your $95 annual fee.
It will just be like having the card for free and then enjoying all the other benefits such as travel protection and elite status benefits.
Just remember that the card is affected by the Chase 5/24 rule which means that there’s a possibility that you won’t be approved for this card if you already have five or more credit cards within the last 24 months.
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is a great card in its own right but the Marriot Bonvoy Cards can also bring the same hard-hitting benefits that the Hyatt card has.
For example, the Marriot Bonvoy Boundless Visa Signature Credit Card is the exact counterpart of the World of Hyatt Credit Card because they both have the same $95 annual fee. However, here’s how the Bonvoy card differs:
- Earn 3 Free Nights after spending $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 10X total points per $1 on up to $2,500 in combined purchases at gas stations, restaurants, and grocery stores within 6 months of card membership
- Earn up to 17X total points per $1 at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy
- Earn 2X points per $1 on all other purchases.
While it’s not directly a hotel card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card can also be another option. It has the same $95 annual fee and comes with 60,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 within three months of card membership.
Here are its earning categories:
- 5X points per $1 on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 3X points per $1 on dining
- 3x points per $1 on select streaming services and online grocery purchases
- 2X points per $1 on all other travel purchases
- 5x points per $1 on Lyft rides through March 2022 (that’s 3x points on top of the 2x points on travel purchases)
It doesn’t have Hyatt hotel-specific benefits but you can still you transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to World of Hyatt at a 1:1 ratio. This means that you can still redeem award nights at Hyatt hotels and resorts.
You don’t need to be a big spender or a frequent traveler to own the World of Hyatt Credit Card. In fact, if your reason for getting the card is just because of the annual free night, then that’s good enough of a reason!
Redeeming the free night award can cover your annual fees so in a sense, you’re earning Hyatt points, boosting your elite status, and getting travel protection for FREE.