Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
Great news! IHG Rewards is extending the elite status of all its members through February 2023. There’s no need for activation because members will automatically receive the IHG elite status extension message via email. But the good news doesn’t stop there, because free night certificate expirations have also been extended through 2021.
IHG Elite Status Extensions
IHG will automatically extend its members’ elite status until February 2023 as a way of rewarding its most loyal members. But, it’s actually IHG that benefits the most from this move.
The IHG elite status extension will give status holders something to look forward to in 2022-2023, and once the travel starts to come back, these status holders will know right away where to spend their money – at IHG hotels!
Additionally, the cost of a simple status extension for members is lower compared to the cost of advertising expenses needed to acquire new customers.
People who have the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card or the IHG Travelers Club Credit Card may not find the status extension that attractive since both cards already come with elite status – Platinum Elite and Gold Elite respectively.
It’s people who have a Spire Elite status or those who earn elite status the traditional way that will benefit the most from this offer.
Free Night Certificates Extended
All free night certificates that were issued in 2021 and expire in 2022 will have an extended expiration date through December 31, 2022. For example, if you have a certificate that expires in January 2022, you’ll basically have a 12-month extension.
However, free night certificates that were issued in 2020 and expire in 2021 can only be redeemed by the end of the year.
Lower Elite Status Requirements
IHG has lowered the elite status requirements for 2021 activities, so if you’re still trying to build your way up to Spire Elite status, now’s the time to do so.
Getting elite status comes with a lot of travel benefits such as exclusive discounts, free WiFi, room upgrades, and more. Here are the benefits of each status:
Club Member (non-elite status)
- Exclusive rates
- Reward Nights count towards elight status
- Complimentary internet
- All Club member benefits
- 10% bonuses
- Welcome ammenity
- Non-expiring points
- Extended checkout
- All gold member benefits
- 50% bonus earnings
- Elite rollover nights
- Complimentary room upgrades
- Guaranteed room availabllity
- All platinum member benefits
- 100% bonus earnings
- Early check-in
- Exclusive choice benefit
While Gold, Platinum, and Spire have non-expiring points, Club status points typically expire after 12 months. However, IHG has also extended the expiration for Club status points through December 31, 2022.
Read More: Is Hotel Or Airline Status Worth It?
IHG Credit Cards With Elite Status
People typically earn IHG elite status the traditional way which is by spending and acquiring qualifying nights and points. However, you can also earn elite status if you get the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card or an IHG Travelers Club Card.
IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
- Welcome bonus is 125,000 points after spending $3,000 within three months of card membership
- Earn a total of 25X points total per $1 spent at IHG Hotels & Resorts worldwide
- 10X points spent as an IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Cardmember
- 10X points from IHG for being an IHG Rewards Club Member
- 5X points from IHG with Platinum Elite Status, a benefit of this card
- Earn 2X points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Earn 1X point on all other purchases
- IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite status
- Anniversary Night any eligible hotels worldwide
- Fourth Reward Night Free when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Save at least 20% on Points Purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- Application fee statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓ Fee (every 4 years)
- $89 annual fee
IHG Traveler Club Credit Card
- Welcome bonus is 60,000 points after spending $2,000 in purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- 5x points on IHG hotel stays
- 2x points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- No foreign transaction fees
- Fourth reward night free
- Get Gold Elite status after spending $10,000 on the card each year
- No annual fee
If you’re looking to get elite status but worried about paying annual fees, you can always opt for the IHG Travelers Card. It’s a great beginner’s card that has a solid welcome bonus and earning rates.
Since the pandemic started, airlines and hotel companies have made efforts to retain their customers. It’s not just IHG that does this but there are also lots of companies who have done the same.
For example, Delta airlines have upgraded their food and IFE to attract more flyers while American Airlines has given lounge access to these customers. long may this trend continue, since it is great to have perks and benefits upgraded, after years of devaluations across the travel rewards Industry.