Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
Virgin Atlantic Airlines is one of the most popular and largest carriers in the United Kingdom. On top of that, the airline is also popular for its premium lounge facilities across the world known as the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse.
Getting airport lounge access is an amazing perk when you’re at the airport. For instance, the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse offers guests a relaxing experience whether they’re flying domestically or internationally.
It’s a great place to get some rest or get some work done, away from the hustle and bustle at the airport. Plus, you’ll also get complimentary cocktails and meals during your stay!
Virgin Atlantic Airlines’ base of operations is in Heathrow Airport (LHR) and Gatwick Airport (LGW). As of 2021, the airline operated in 4 domestic destinations and 29 international destinations across 18 countries.
Read More: Alaska and AA Lounges Reopen And Back In Business
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse Lounge Locations
The original Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge is located at the London Heathrow International Airport (LHR). It’s a dedicated first-class lounge that’s located at the Upper Class Wing of the airport.
However, there are also other Virgin Clubhouse lounges in other airports worldwide which are in:
- Logan International Airport (BOS)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB)
Virgin Atlantic has also partnered with lounges from other airports across the world so if you aren’t flying through these airports above, you can check out the complete list here.
How To Get Into The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse?
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses are found all across the UK and worldwide but the big question is how to get into these clubhouses?
To be able to have access, you need to have an upper class Virgin Atlantic ticket, a Flying Club Gold membership or have an elite status from partner airlines when flying on Virgin Atlantic.
Getting A Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Ticket
Buying an upper class ticket on a Virgin Atlantic flight will instantly get you access to a Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. Yes, these tickets can be expensive but there are other ways to do that without breaking the bank – specifically with transfer partners.
Some examples of loyalty programs that allow you to transfer your points to the Virgin Atlantic loyalty program are Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards, and the Marriot Bonvoy Loyalty Program.
In order to do that, you need to have a credit card from any of these issuers above and then start earning points on your respective loyalty programs by spending on the card. Here are some examples of credit cards that you can apply for:
- American Express Gold Card
- American Express Platinum Card
- Citi ThankYour Premiere Card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve Card
- Chase Aeroplan World Elite Mastercard
- Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card
Chase, Amex, and Citi are great transfer partners because they allow you to transfer your points to Virgin Atlantic at a 1:1 ratio. If you transfer 20,000 Chase points, you’ll also get 20,000 Virgin Atlantic miles. Meanwhile, Marriott Bonvoy has a 3:1 transfer rate.
Become A Flying Club Gold Status Holder
The Flying Club loyalty program has three status tiers – Red, Silver, and Gold – and each tier comes with specific benefits. Signing up for a Flying Club membership is free but moving up from one status to another is the hard part.
In order to get Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse access, you need to reach the Gold tier which requires you to earn 1,000 Tier points. Here are three ways on how to do that:
- 2 round trips and a one-way trip in Upper Class
- Or 5 flexible Premium round trips
- Or 10 Economy Delight round trips
Apart from having Virgin Clubhouse lounge access, Gold status holders will also receive other benefits like a 60% bonus miles on Virgin Atlantic flights, priority boarding, Upper-Class check-in, clubhouse access for one guest, and extra luggage allowance.
Take note, Virgin Atlantic is currently having a promotion where you only need 800 Tier points to reach gold status. The promo runs from April 1, 2022, to March 31, 2023
Having Elite Status From Partner Airlines
People with elite status from partner airlines who are flying with Virgin Atlantic can also have access to Virgin Clubhouse Lounges.
However, having elite status doesn’t automatically guarantee lounge access because it also varies on your location. You can check below which category you belong to.
For passengers traveling on Virgin Atlantic or Delta Air Lines operated flights leaving the UK, these are the elite status holders who can have lounge access:
- Passengers travelling in Delta One
- Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion card holders
- Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion card holders
- Delta SkyMiles Gold Medallion card holders
- Flying Blue Platinum card holders
For travelers on Virgin Atlantic operated flights, these are the elite status holders who can have lounge access:
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Elite Gold members and PPS card holders
- Virgin Australia Velocity Club Gold card holders
- Virgin Australia Velocity Club Platinum card holders
- Virgin Australia Velocity The Club card holders
For travelers on Virgin Atlantic-operated flights traveling to San Francisco, these are the elite status holders who can have lounge access:
- Air New Zealand Gold card holders
- Air New Zealand Gold Elite card holders
All eligible passengers may bring guests to Virgin Clubhouse Lounges except for Delta One Passengers and Singapore Airlines loyalty members.
The guests don’t have to be on the same flight as you are, however, they should be traveling on the same day and from the same terminal on an international flight operated by by Virgin Atlantic, Delta Air Lines, Air France or KLM. Additionally, they must enter the clubhouse with you.
Virgin Atlantic doesn’t offer day pass tickets so the three options above are the best way for getting lounge access. However, there’s another way of getting lounge access and that is through a Priority Pass membership.
Read More: AA Adds Lounge Access On Flights To Hawaii
Getting Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse Access With A Priority Pass
A Priority Pass membership will give you access to Virgin Atlantic clubhouses lounges but only in three locations: LAX, EWR, and IAD. There are three types of Priority Pass memberships and these are:
- Standard membership: $99 per year; includes visits for $32 each
- Standard Plus membership: $249 per year; includes 10 FREE visits, with subsequent visits for $32 each
- Prestige membership: $429 per year; all visits are FREE
Even if the access to Virgin clubhouses is limited, it’s still a good idea to get a Priority Pass membership if you’re a frequent flyer because you will also have access to more than 1,300 lounges worldwide and exclusive offers at Priority Pass partner restaurants.
Credit Cards With Priority Pass Memberships
Priority Pass memberships are very beneficial but the fees can be a little bit expensive. If you want to get the best value for your buck, you’re better off getting a credit card that comes with a Priority Pass membership.
You’ll spend about the same amount in annual fees but you get other exclusive travel perks that come with the card. Here are some credit cards that you can apply for:
The Platinum Card from American Express
- Get a welcome bonus offer of 100,000 points after spending $6,000 within the first 6 months of card membership
- Earn 5x points on flights booked directly with airlines and on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel
The Business Platinum Card (R) from American Express
- Get 120,000 points after spending $15,000 within three months of card membership
- Earn 5X points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com
- Earn 1.5X points on eligible purchases (that’s an extra half point per dollar) at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card
- Get 75,000 points after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of card membership
- Earn 6x points on eligible purchases at participating hotels in the Marriott Bonvoy program
- Earn 3x points at U.S. restaurants and on direct airline bookings
- Earn 2x points on all other purchases
Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Get 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of card membership
- Earn 5x total points on air travel and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when purchasing travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after you spend your first $300 on travle purchases
- Earn 3x points on other travel and dining
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
Take note that having these cards doesn’t automatically give you Priority Pass access. You can’t just show up at a lounge and expect to enter. You need to enroll online via your loyalty membership account or call your credit card issuer.
There’s no doubt that Virgin Clubhouse lounges are one of the best lounges so it’s a good idea to have access to these lounges through the methods mentioned above. They come with complimentary snacks and drinks, along with other premium amenities like resting areas, spas, shower areas, and workspaces.
Virgin Atlantic is continuously expanding its network to other airports worldwide. You can check this blog to get the latest updates on lounge access and eligibility requirements.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Raj PanjabiMay 29, 2022
I am a Gold elite status member with Virgin Atlantic. I am taking a trip this summer with my wife and son to London and back to US. On our way back would like to use the Clubhouse at LHR airport but I undrestand that I can only bring one guest with me into the lounge. I would like to know how I can bring both my wife and son into the Virgin Clubhouse lounge with me.
Will await your reply back.
Jestan MendameJune 17, 2022
What cabin are you flying in? Your wife can fly Upper-class so she can get Clubhouse access while you and your son can fly in a lower-class cabin. You can then use your guest benefit from your Gold status for your son so all of you can have access to the VA clubhouse.
Alternatively, having a credit card that has a free Priority Pass membership also works because this gives you access to VA clubhouses too.