Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
When the World of Hyatt Business Card was launched this October, consumers where quick to make comparisons between the business version and the personal version of the card.
Both the World of Hyatt Business Card and the World of Hyatt Card have solid perks and benefits but when it comes to picking which one to sign up for, you need to to take note of the differences between the two.
In this article, we’ll compare both cards in terms of earning rates, travel perks, welcome bonuses, and more.
Both cards come with welcome bonuses for new cardholders, however, there is a huge difference between the two cards’ sign-up bonuses as well as the requirements to earn the bonus.
World of Hyatt Business Card
The World of Hyatt Business Credit Card sign up bonus is 75,000 Hyatt points after spending $7,500 within the first three months of account opening.
Additionally, cardholders can get a free Headspace membership for one year. It’s a meditation app that typically costs $69.99 per year and it helps you deal with stress and sleeping problems. The free subscription must be redeemed by December 31, 2022.
World Of Hyatt Credit Card
The World of Hyatt Credit Card sign up bonus is a little complicated when compared to its business counterpart. The bonus is 60,000 Hyatt points but it’s divided into two parts:
- 30,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 within the first three months of account opening
- 30,000 bonus points if you can spend $15,000 on non-bonus categories within six months of account opening. Basically, you’ll earn an additional point per dollar on top of the card’s 1x earning rates
And if you’re going to be technical in calculating the bonuses, you’re actually just earning 45,000 points in total because it’s just 15,000 points on top of the 15,000 points that you would normally earn on the 1x earning rates.
Which Card Wins?
The World of Hyatt Business Card is better then the World of Hyatt Card in terms of sign-up bonus. It’s easier to earn the sign-up bonus on the business version of the card since the spending requirement is only $7,500. The personal card’s sign-up bonus is quite complicated and you need to spend a hefty amount to be able to maximize the offer.
The business and personal card have three categories where they earn the same amount of points per dollar: Up to 9x points on Hyatt purchases (4x on Hyatt purchases as a cardholder and 5x points as a Hyatt member), 2x points on gym and fitness memberships, and 1x point on eligible purchases.
The difference in earning rates are as follows:
World of Hyatt Business Card
As mentioned above, the World of Hyatt Business Card only has two fixed ongoing rates: Hyatt purchases and gym/fitness memberships.
However, it has what you call an “adaptive accelerator” which means that your bonus categories adapt to your spending habits.
You will earn 2x points on your top three spending categories per quarter until 2022, and 2x points on your top two spending categories per quarter starting 2023 and onwards.
Here are the spending categories included in the adaptive accelerator:
- Airline tickets purchased directly with the airline
- Car rental agencies
- Local transit and commuting
- Gas stations
- Cable and phone services
- Social media and search engine advertising
World Of Hyatt Card
The World of Hyatt Card earns a fixed ongoing rate on these categories:
- 2x points per $1 on local transit and commuting
- 2x points per $1 on dining out at restaurants, cafes and coffee shops
- 2x points per $1 on flights directly purchases from the airline
- 2x points per $1 on fitness club and gym memberships
Which Card Wins?
There’s no ultimate winner between the World of Hyatt business card vs World of Hyatt card in terms of earning rates. You need to look at two things here: flexibility vs number of bonus categories.
In terms of flexibility, the business card is better than the personal card because the earning categories also change as you change your spending habits. This is a very useful feature for business owners who have varying expenses every month.
With regards to of the number of bonus categories, both cards have 5 bonus categories each through 2022, but the business card will only have 4 after December 2022. This means that the personal card is a better option for long term use.
However, maximizing your points earning strategy would always depend on your spending habits. Hyatt released the business card for a reason, and that is to cover business expenses that the personal card can’t cover.
Don’t worry, if ever you need more points to book an award, you can always buy points with cash. World of Hyatt Rewards is currently offering consumers a 30% discount when you buy at least 5,000 points. This promotion is valid until December 31, 2021.
The World of Hyatt Card and World of Hyatt Business card have a few similarities in the travel perks department. Both cards will give you basic travel and buyer protection benefits such as:
- Extended warranty protection
- Purchase protection
- Trip cancellation and travel interruption insurance
- Travel and emergency assistance services
- Complimentary roadside dispatch
- Primary rental car collision damage waiver
- Zero foreign transaction fees
Both cards also give cardholders automatic Discoverist status which gives you exclusive Hyatt perks such as late checkout, elite check-in free bottled water, waived resort fees, and room upgrades within the same hotel category.
As for the differences, let’s find out below.
World of Hyatt Business card
The business card has travel benefits that specifically cater to business-specific needs. Here are its benefits:
- Discoverist status to five employees or family members. Employee cards don’t have annual fees
- Earn 5 qualifying elite night credits for every $10,000 spent on your card
- Get 10% back on redeemed points (up to 20k points each year) after spending $50,000 on your card. The bonus kicks in after you meet the 50K requirement.
- Earn $100 in Hyatt credit each anniversary year: Spend at least $50 at any Hyatt property and earn a $50 statement credit up to two times per calendar year
- Free employee cards
The World of Hyatt Business Card’s most attractice benefit are the $100 credit and 10% cashback. Business owners who have big spending can easily redeem these perks.
World of Hyatt card
The World of Hyatt card focuses more on perks that the cardholder can use for personal travel.
- Automatic 5 elite night qualifying credits towards your next tier of status every year
- Earn 2 elite night credits for every $5,000 spent on your card
- Annual free-night certificate at a Category 1-4 Hyatt property every account anniversary
- Earn an additional free-night certificate at a Category 1-4 Hyatt property after spending $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year
The World of Hyatt card’s main selling point are the annual free-night certificate and the 5 free elite night credits which are perks that are not available on the business card.
Which Card Wins?
It’s hard to determine which card is better in this category a card’s value will always depend on your needs. However, in terms of monetary value, the personal card is the winner.
The persona’ card’s annual free night certificate at a Category 1-4 hotel is worth around $300 or even more!
In terms of annual fees, when comparing the World of Hyatt Business card vs World of Hyatt card, the former has the pricier fee. The business card has a $199 annual fee while the personal card only has a $95 annual fee.
Which Card Wins?
The personal card wins this category just by looking at the price alone, and even if you factor in both of the cards’ perks to offset their annual fees, the personal card still wins.
The World of Hyatt Business card has a $100 statement credit that can slash at least half of the $195 annual fee, however, the World of Hyatt card has an annual free night certificate that’s worth double of it’s $95 annual fee.
World Of Hyatt Business Card VS World Of Hyatt Card – Who Is The Card For?
Each card delivers a specific set of benefits to its target market. If you’re getting the World of Hyatt Business Card, make sure that you can:
- Spend more than $50,000 per calendar to maximize the 10% points rebates
- Spend on bonus categories included in the card’s adapative accelerator: Internet, cable and phone services, online advertising, and etc.
Meanwhile, consider getting the World of Hyatt Card if you can:
- Stay at any Hyatt hotel at least once a year and redeem the annual free night certificate
- Spend $15,000 per year to get another free night night certificate
Can I Get Both Cards?
For example, getting both cards would allow you double-dip on elite night credits. The personal card will give automatic 5 free elite night credits while the business card will give you 25% more elite night credits for every $10,000 spend.
The World of Hyatt group is steadily growing its hotel operations worldwide so if you’re looking to stay at any of their lucrative hotels, it’s worth getting the World of Hyatt Business Card or the World of Hyatt Personal Card. Just figure out which benefits you need and which rewards you can capitalize on.