Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
With cards like American Express Platinum, which has a high annual fee of $695, one of the major benefits is Amex Lounge access. These lounges provide a relaxing and luxurious environment for travelers to unwind and recharge before their flight, with amenities such as complimentary food and beverages, comfortable seating, and high-speed Wi-Fi. However, the policy for Amex lounge access varies depending on the card you have and the type of lounge you want to visit.
In this article, we are going to go through the Amex Lounge Access Policy, so you can know about every detail of the lounges you can access and the rules about them.
Lounges You Can Access With Amex Platinum Cards
Many people think that you can only access Centurion lounges, but it’s crucial to keep in mind that Platinum cardholders can enjoy access to various Amex lounges worldwide; the access policy can vary depending on the cardholder’s location and the specific lounge they plan to visit.
You can have access to the following types of lounges with the American Express and Business Platinum Card:
- The Centurion Lounge
- Priority Pass Select Lounges
- Delta Sky Club Lounges
- American Express Proprietary Lounges
- Plaza Premium Lounges
- Lufthansa Lounges
- Escape Lounges
Amex Centurion Lounges
Talking about the premium features such as top-notch dining options, an extensive selection of drinks, high-speed Wi-Fi, and comfortable seating areas for work and relaxation, Centurion Lounge tops the list. The Centurion Lounges are highly sought-after and regarded as one of the most exclusive airport lounges accessible to Platinum cardholders.
Centurion Lounge Access Policy
- Only Amex Platinum and Business Platinum cardholders with confirmed, same-day boarding passes are permitted entry into the Centurion Lounge three hours ahead of the scheduled departure time of their trip. If you have a layover or connecting flight, the three-hour restriction does not apply, and admission is allowed right away after landing.
- According to the recent policy, you can only bring up to two complimentary guests when you spend at least $75,000 annually on the card; otherwise, you must pay $50 per guest aged 18 or older (or $30 per guest aged 2 through 17 with proof of age).
- You can hand over your card with the boarding pass, or some locations also allow access.
Centurion Lounge Locations
Currently, there are more than 10 Centurion Lounges in the United States, which are:
- Charlotte (CLT)
- Dallas (DFW)
- Denver (DEN)
- Houston (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Miami (MIA)
- New York (JFK & LGA)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- Phoenix (PHX)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Seattle (SEA)
Priority Pass Select Lounge Access
Priority Pass lounges are a go-to for many travelers and for good reason. With more than 1,400 locations around the world, these lounges are easy to find, so you’re likely to have access to one no matter where you go. You can use your Priority Pass Select membership to take advantage of the complimentary first hour at Minute Suites. It’s just another perk that can make your travel experience that much more enjoyable.
Priority Pass Access Policy
- In order to use Priority Pass, you must first register for a Priority Pass Select membership through your Amex Platinum account. You will then be mailed a Priority Pass card, which you will need to enter Priority Pass lounges.
- With the Priority Pass, you’re allowed to bring along two guests. However, if you have more than two guests, you’ll be charged $32 per guest by the lounge.
- Certain Priority Pass lounges may have restricted hours for Priority Pass members and may decline entry if they are out of capacity.
Read More: LoungeBuddy VS Lounge Pass VS Priority Pass Which Is The Best?
Delta Sky Club Lounges
The Sky Club Lounges operated by Delta are accessible with the Amex Platinum card. The Delta Sky Club lounges, which have locations all throughout the United States and in a few international airports, are a popular option for travelers looking for a little more comfort and convenience when traveling.
Read More: Which Delta Business Credit Card is Best?
Delta Sky Club Lounges Access Policy
- There is a $50 charge per guest if you want to bring guests into Delta Sky Club Lounges.
- You can access Sky Club Lounges the same day you are flying Delta or a Delta-marketed, WestJet-operated flight
- You have to show or submit your boarding pass, ID, Amex Platinum card, or Amex Business Platinum card for entry.
American Express Proprietary Lounges
If you are outside the US and want to access airport lounges, don’t worry; Amex provides its lounge service internationally. You can access the American Express Lounge by flying with any airline. American Express has lounges in many international locations, for example, Australia, India, Argentina, and Mexico.
International Lounge Access Policy
- Guest access policies vary by location and are subject to change, so it depends upon the location you want to access the lounges.
- To enter the lounge Present you have to show your Platinum Card, a boarding pass showing a confirmed reservation for same-day travel, and a government-issued ID.
Plaza Premium Lounges
American Express has partnered with Plaza Premium Lounge to offer Amex Platinum Card members access to select Plaza Premium lounges around the world. This partnership provides Amex Platinum Card members with an additional network of lounges to enjoy during their travels. You can access over 70 Plaza Premium lounge locations worldwide with your Amex Platinum and Business Platinum Card.
Plaza Premium Lounge Access Policy
- You may enter with one guest for no additional cost
- As long as you have a boarding pass for same-day travel, you can access Plaza Premium Lounges regardless of the airline you are flying with.
- You have to present your valid Platinum Card and a boarding pass showing a confirmed reservation for same-day travel.
With the partnership between Amex and Lufthansa, Amex Platinum and Amex Business Platinum cardholders can access Lufthansa lounges. The access privileges are the same as in other lounges in the American Express Global Lounge Collection. You can access Lufthansa Business Lounges with the Amex Platinum when flying economy class and Lufthansa Senator Lounges when flying business class.
Read More: Awful: Lufthansa First Class 747-8 Flight Review (Mexico City to Frankfurt)
Lufthansa Lounges Access Policy
- In general, Lufthansa Lounges do not accept guests, but some locations may accept guests for a fee.
- Access to Lufthansa Lounges is available for passengers traveling on the same day on Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian Airlines, and Brussels Airlines.
- To have access to the lounge, you must present a valid Platinum Card, a government-issued photo id, and a confirmed same-day Lufthansa Group boarding pass.
Escape Lounges – The Centurion Studio Partner
Escape Lounges are another option for Amex Platinum cardholders to access, providing a comfortable and quiet space to relax before a flight; these lounges offer complimentary amenities such as high-speed Wi-Fi, premium drinks, and snacks. With locations in various airports across the US:
- Cincinnati (CVG)
- Columbus (CMH)
- Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP)
- Hartford County, Connecticut (BDL)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)
- Oakland, California (OAK)
- Palm Beach, Florida (PBI)
- Phoenix (PHX) Terminals 3 and 4
- Providence (PVD)
- Reno (RNO)
- Sacramento (SMF) terminals A and B.
Escape Lounges Access Policy
- You can access Escape Lounges the same day you are flying with any airline. You must have a boarding pass for same-day travel.
- You can bring up to 2 guests at no additional charge.
- To enter the Escape Lounge, present your eligible Card and boarding pass at the lounge.
As i mentioned earlier, one of the key advantages of owning an Amex platinum or Amex corporate platinum card is the chance to gain access to lavish lounges; Amex cardholders can enjoy a variety of lounge access perks, which can enhance their airport visit. However, entry criteria and lounge availability may vary depending on location, card type, and airline. It is critical to understand the nuances of the Amex Lounge Access Policy in order to maximize the benefits and ensure a trouble-free travel experience.
Interest in flying around the world using credit card points? Check out our site to learn the basics, and follow our blog for more tips on how to make your dream vacation a reality. You can also sign up for our travel concierge and get unlimited credit cards and travel assistance for one full year.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.