Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card is a popular credit card among frequent travelers staying at Marriott Bonvoy™ properties. In this article, we take an in-depth look at the features and benefits of the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card to help you determine if it is the right choice for you.
Let’s begin with a quick overview. The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card has an annual fee of $95, but there are many ways to derive value from the card over and above the annual fee. You will automatically receive the Marriott Bonvoy™ Silver Elite status, which grants 10% bonus points on eligible stays, and enjoy a pathway to Gold Elite status (by spending $35,000 on purchases each calendar year) to lock in some even better benefits.
Also, quickly upgrade to a higher status using this card, as you get Elite Night Credit for every $5,000 spent. Cardholders also receive an annual Free Night Award (worth 35,000 points) for each card anniversary. Those who can maximize this certificate can lock a room at a much higher rate than the annual fee of $95 – this benefit alone can recoup the annual fee.
Overview of Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card is a co-branded credit card that Marriott International offers in partnership with JPMorgan Chase. The credit card is part of the Marriott Bonvoy™ rewards program, which is Marriott International’s loyalty program.
In addition to the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card, the Marriott Bonvoy™ credit card family has the following credit cards as well:
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Card (also in partnership with JPMorgan Chase)
- Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card offers cardholders an array of rewards and benefits that can make travel more enjoyable and affordable at Marriott properties. Some of the highlights of the card include the following:
- Sign-up Bonus: New cardholders can earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy™ points after spending $3,000 in the first three months following account opening. This is one of the largest sign-up bonuses in the hotel rewards card space and can be redeemed for several different rewards, including free hotel stays, room upgrades, and more.
- Earning Rewards: The card offers generous Marriott Bonvoy™ points for travel and dining purchases, as well as at Marriott hotels. Cardholders can earn 6X points per dollar spent at Marriott hotels, 2X points per dollar spent on other travel purchases, and 2X points per dollar spent on all other purchases. Moreover, the first $6,000 spent in a calendar year in combined purchases on gas stations, grocery stores, and dining (including takeout and eligible delivery services) earn 3X points per dollar.
- Elite Status: Cardholders automatically receive Marriott Bonvoy™ Silver Elite status that offers benefits such as late checkout and 10% additional Marriott Bonvoy™ points. Cardholders can also achieve Gold Elite status after spending $35,000 on the card in a calendar year.
- Elite Night Credits: Cardholders receive 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year and an Elite Night Credit for each $5,000 spent on the card. The Elite Night Credits count toward Marriott Bonvoy™ status, allowing progression to higher tiers at a faster rate.
- Free Night Award: Cardholders receive a Free Night Award certificate on the account anniversary, redeemable at any participating Marriott hotel with a redemption value of up to 35,000 points. This can be of great value, especially for travelers who plan to stay at premium Marriott hotels.
- Premium Wi-Fi: Cardholders have access to complimentary in-room, premium internet access while staying at participating Marriott hotels.
- Travel Protections: The card offers a variety of travel protections, such as reimbursement for travel delays and lost luggage.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card does not charge foreign transaction fees, making this an excellent choice for international travelers.
Finally, Marriott Bonvoy™ points do not expire as long as you purchase with this credit card every 24 months.
Welcome Bonus of Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card is currently offering a mammoth 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy™ points as a welcome bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months of the opening of the account. The 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy™ points are a massive bonus in the hotel rewards card space and can be utilized for anywhere between a 2 to 5-night stay at participating Marriott hotels.
For example, book a stay at Le Mersenne Zanzibar, part of the Autograph Collection, for March 1, 2023, at 17,000 Marriott Bonvoy™ points per night (worth $248, including taxes and fees).
In-depth Analysis of Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
Aside from a very generous welcome bonus, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card is packed with numerous benefits that make holding this credit card a worthwhile experience. Here are some ways to make the best use of the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card:
Marriott Bonvoy™ Points
With this card, it is possible to earn up to 17X Marriott Bonvoy™ Points for every dollar spent at participating Marriott hotels. Let me explain.
With the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card, you get up to 6X points per dollar at Marriott properties; as a member of Marriott Bonvoy™ (irrespective of the tier), you earn 10X points per dollar; and you earn another 1X points per dollar as a bonus for being a Silver Elite member. Hence, total Marriott Bonvoy™ Points are 6 + 10 + 1 = 17 per dollar spent.
Elite Night Credits
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card supports automatic enrolment into the Marriott Bonvoy™ Silver Elite status. The next level is the Gold Elite which can be achieved by usually staying 25 nights per year at participating Marriott properties.
There is a shortcut to obtaining Gold Elite without stays: cardholders need to register $35,000 in purchases on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card in a calendar year. This method works out cheaper than combining 15 Elite Night Credits and an Elite Night Credit for each $5,000 spent (both part of the card’s benefits), which effectively means spending $50,000 on the card to obtain Marriott Bonvoy™ Gold Elite status.
Free Night Award
Alongside the potential to achieve elite status in Marriott Bonvoy™, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card provides a complimentary award night certificate with a redemption value of up to 35,000 points. This benefit alone, if used judiciously, may be greater in value than the annual fee.
Who should use the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card?
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card is primarily suitable for patrons of Marriott hotels as they would stand to gain the most out of this card.
For others, there are plenty of better credit cards available, like:
The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card is an excellent choice for people who frequent Marriott International’s properties. Although plenty of travel credit cards offer better value, a cardholder can easily recoup between $200 and $300 in value from the Free Award Night certificate alone, which is an outstanding return on investment of $95 in the form of an annual card fee. This card is certainly a no-brainer.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.