Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
Just like Star Alliance and OneWorld loyalty, the SkyTeam Alliance also offers status levels where members can receive travel benefits such as priority boarding, preferred seating, baggage allowance, and of course, the best benefit of all, complimentary lounge access.
In this article, we’ll discuss the two tiers in the SkyTeam Alliance loyalty program: SkyTeam Elite and SkyTeam Elite Plus – and explain how you can reach each status so you can enjoy travel benefits that can make your travels more convenient.
Read More: How To Get Star Alliance Gold Status
What Are SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus?
You need to know that the SkyTeam loyalty program is different from a traditional airline loyalty program. Unlike Delta’s Medallion Qualifying Miles or United’s Premier Qualifying Miles, SkyTeam doesn’t have its own status miles aka qualifying metrics that determine your SkyTeam Elite status.
One can only earn Skyteam status if they have an existing airline elite status from any of the 19 airlines in the Skyteam alliance. There will be a corresponding SkyTeam status based on your current airline elite status from your respective loyalty programs.
For example, someone who has a Delta Medallion Silver elite status will be awarded a SkyTeam Elite status while those with Gold, Platinum, and Diamond will be awarded a SkyTeam Elite Plus status.
Here are the other status equivalents for the other alliance members:
- Aeroflot Bonus Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- Aeroflot Bonus Gold = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Aeroflot Bonus Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Aerolíneas Argentinas
- Aerolíneas Plus Oro = SkyTeam Elite
- Aerolíneas Plus Platino = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Aerolíneas Plus Diamente = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Club Premier Gold = SkyTeam Elite
- Club Premier Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Club Premier Titanium = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Air Europa
- SUMA Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- SUMA Gold = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- SUMA Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Air France/KLM, Kenya Airways, TAROM
- Flying Blue Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- Flying Blue Gold = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Flying Blue Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Flying Blye Platinum for Life – SkyTeam Elite Plus
- China Airlines
- Dynasty Flyer Gold = SkyTeam Elite
- Dynasty Flyer Emerald = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Dynasty Flyer Paragon = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- China Eastern Airlines
- Eastern Miles Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- Eastern Miles Gold = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Czech Airlines
- OK Plus Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- OK Plus Gold = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- OK Plus Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Delta Air Lines
- SkyMiles Silver Medallion = SkyTeam Elite
- SkyMiles Gold Medallion = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- SkyMiles Platinum Medallion = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- SkyMiles Diamond Medallion = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Garuda Indonesia
- Garuda Miles Gold = SkyTeam Elite
- Garuda Miles Gold EC+ = SkyTeam Elite
- Garuda Miles Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- ITA Airways
- Volare Plus = SkyTeam Elite
- Volare Premium = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Volare Executive = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Volare Executive Per Sempre = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Volare Limiteless = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Korean Air
- SKYPASS Morning Calm Club = SkyTeam Elite
- SKYPASS Morning Calm Premium Club = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- SKYPASS Million Miler Club = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Middle East Airlines
- Cedar Miles Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- Cedar Miles Gold = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Cedar Miles Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Alfursan Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- Alfursan Gold = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Vietnam Airlines
- Golden Lotus Plus Titanium = SkyTeam Elite
- Golden Lotus Plus Gold = SkyTeam Elite
- Golden Lotus Plus Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Egret Club Silver = SkyTeam Elite
- Egret Club Gold = SkyTeam Elite
- Egret Club Platinum = SkyTeam Elite Plus
- Egret Club Diamond = SkyTeam Elite Plus
You can only have one SkyTeam status even if you have multiple frequent flyer memberships that are eligible for a SkyTeam status.
Read More: How To Access The Delta Sky Club Lounges
SkyTeam Elite Status Benefits
Here are the benefits that you will get once you have SkyTeam Elite status.
- Priority Reservation Waitlist (when fares permit) – Be one of the first passengers to get a seat on a flight that is fully booked if ever one of the current passengers doesn’t make the flight. o
- Preferred seating – Choose a seat that you prefer during the time of booking.
- Priority Check-in Counters – Whether you’re flying Economy or Business class, you will have to be prioritized at check-In counters.
- Priority Boarding – Be one of the first passengers to get on board the aircraft, along with first-class and business class.
- Extra Baggage Allowance – Elite members will get an extra 10kg while Elite Plus members will get an extra 20kg or one additional bag where the piece concept applies, depending on routing.
SkyTeam Elite Plus
Elite Plus members will receive all the benefits mentioned above, plus the following benefits below:
- Priority Reservation For Full-fare Y-class Long-haul Flights – Get guaranteed seats on sold-out long-haul flights at least 24 hours before departure.
- Lounge Access – Get access to more than 750 SkyTeam lounges worldwide if you’re on a same-day international business or first-class flight. Elite Plus members who are flying Economy also have lounge access. Domestic flights do not have lounge access. Elite Plus members can bring one guest if the guest is also traveling on a same-day flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline (it doesn’t need to be the same flight).
- Priority baggage – Be one of the first passengers to claim your baggage upon arrival, even when flying Economy.
- SkyPriority – Experience exclusive VIP treatment at transfers, immigration, ticket offices, and more.
Best Ways To Earn SkyTeam Elite Plus
The goal is to have Elite Plus status, mainly because of the complimentary lounge access, but the problem is how to get Elite Plus status faster. So among the 19 alliance members, these two airlines offer the best path to reaching Elite Plus.
You need to have an Air Europa SUMA Gold status in order to reach SkyTeam Elite Plus, which requires at least 26 flights/segments a year or 32,000 miles flown. Here’s a quick breakdown of its requirements:
- SUMA Silver (SkyTeam Elite) – 14 flights per year or 18,000 miles
- SUMA Gold (SkyTeam Elite Plus) – 26 flights per year or 32,000 miles
- SUMA Platinum (SkyTeam Elite Plus) – 50 flights per year or 60,000 miles
Flights with Air Europa or any SkyTeam airline count towards reaching SUMA Gold status, plus, it only requires a few flights/segments to reach Elite Plus. For example, Czech Airlines’ OK Plus requires you to fly 30 segments (6 flights from Czech Airlines) to reach Elite Plus status.
Getting a SkyTeam Elite Plus status through Delta may not seem like the fastest option because it requires 50,000 MQMs or 60 segments, but take note that 100% of the miles you’ve flown will be credited as MQMs towards reaching Gold Medallion status – even if you’re in economy class. Here’s a quick breakdown of Delta’s MQM requirements:
- Silver Medallion – 25,000 MQMs or 30 MQSs plus 3,000 MQDs
- Gold Medallion – 50,000 MQMs or 60 MQSs plus 6,000 MQDs
- Platinum Medallion– 75,000 MQMs or 100 MQSs plus 9,000 MQDs
- Diamond Medallion – 125,000 MQMs or 140 MQSs plus 15,000 MQDs
This means that you can reach Gold Medallion status with about 4 round-trip transcontinental flights like a New York (JFK) to San Francisco (SFO) flight. There’s no pressure to complete them in one year because your qualifying miles roll over for the next calendar year.
To fully appreciate the benefits offered by SkyTeam, having an Elite Plus status should be your goal. Imagine having free lounge access and the option of bringing one guest with your to more than 750+ lounges in the SkyTeam network.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.