Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
The Delta Clear partnership is a godsend to all Skymiles members as they are entitled to exclusive membership fee discounts of up to $80 – even FREE for the highest tier members!
Just like TSA Precheck, the CLEAR program allows its pre-screened members to skip security lines for a more seamless travel experience. The service uses biometric technology to verify your identity so you don’t have to take out your passports, driver’s licenses, and other physical IDs.
In this article, we’ll discuss all the basics that you need to know such as signing up for a membership, the discounts Skymiles members get, member benefits, and the different Clear airport locations.
Read More: NEXUS Vs Global Entry: Which Is Right For You?
How Much Does Clear Cost?
A regular Clear membership costs $189 per year and you can add up to three adult members (18 and above) to your account at $50 per member per year.
The additional members don’t have to be your direct biological family so you can add relatives and friends to your account if you wish to. Children who are under the age of 18 can use Clear lanes for free as long as they’re accompanied by a paying member.
Additionally, Clear also offers student prices of only $50 per year for 4 years. You just need to verify your eligibility to be able to avail yourself of the special pricing.
Discounted Prices For Delta Skymiles Members
The prices are even cheaper for those who are Delta Medallion Skymiles members or those who have Delta co-branded cards:
- General Members – $119/year
- Silver/Gold/Platinum Members – $109/year
- Diamond Medallion Members – Free
Cardholders of the following Delta Skymiles credit cards fall under the $109/year rate:
- Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
If you’re already a Clear member and recently got a Skymiles elite status or a co-branded card, you can still link your account and still get the Clear Delta membership discount.
Cards That Offer Clear Statement Credits
Some credit cards come with a Clear statement credit which can be used to reimburse your application fees. Depending on the card you have, you can lower the costs of your Clear membership or even get it for free. Here are cards that come with Clear statement credits:
- American Express® Green Card
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Signing Up For A Clear Membership
You need to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and be at least 18 years old to be eligible for a Clear membership. If you satisfy these conditions, signing up is quick and easy! Fill out the required information on the Delta Clear sign-up page. You will be required to type in your name, address, email, and Skymiles number. If you’re not a Skymiles member and are just applying for a regular clear account, click here.
You’ll then be redirected to the next page where you can add up to three members to your account. After adding them, scroll down to proceed with the payment.
Once you’ve completed your online registration, go to any Clear locations and bring a valid government-issued ID to finish your enrollment. It can be your passport, driver’s license,
A short verification interview will be conducted by a Clear representative, and your biometric data will be taken and registered to your account. You don’t have to set up an appointment unlike Global Entry interviews and TSA Precheck interviews.
Clear Airport Locations
Clear is available in multiple airports across the US. At the airport, go to any dedicated Clear kiosk to have your biometrics verified. You can then proceed to the TSA security lanes to undergo physical screening.
Here are the Clear airport locations where you can have expedited security:
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM)
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL))
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW))
- Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH)
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
- Harry Reid International Airport (LAS)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Nashville International Airport (BNA)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Palm Beach International Airport (PBI))
- Palm Springs International Airport (PSP)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
- San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
- San Diego International Airport (SAN)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- Westchester County Airport (HPN)
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Clear offers three major benefits for its members:
- Fast and Easy Enrollment – Enroll online and show up at any Clear locations (no scheduling needed).
- Expedited Identity Verification – Clear uses biometric machines so there’s no need for you to show your physical ID at security lanes.
- A Fast-expanding Network – Clear kiosks aren’t just available at airports but they’re also available at sports venues. More kiosks are being added to more locations across the U.S.
Take note that Clear offers a different set of benefits compared to TSA Precheck. Clear takes care of the document screening while TSA Precheck takes care of the physical screening.
Unlike Global Entry, CLEAR does not come with a TSA PreCheck membership. Your best option is to sign up for a credit card that comes with a free Global Entry membership and sign up for a Clear membership separately.
What’s The Difference Between Global Entry, TSA, and Clear?
TSA Precheck allows members to skip physical screening at the airport. This means that you don’t have to remove your shoes, laptops, cell phones, and other personal things when passing through metal detectors and scanners.
Clear allows its members to skip identity screenings. This means that you don’t need to present your ID and have them checked by airport personnel manually.
Meanwhile, Global Entry allows its members to re-enter the US without having to go through immigration lanes. A Global Entry membership also comes with TSA Precheck privileges.
Read More: TSA Precheck Renewal Guide
Is Getting A Clear Membership Worth It?
If you’re a Diamond Member or a cardholder of the Amex Green Card, Amex Platinum Card, or Amex Business Platinum Card, it’s a no-brainer to sign up for a Clear membership. It’s free so better take advantage of it!
For the rest of you, the biggest factor that you should consider is the frequency of your trips to airports and sports events. Even with the discount, you still need to pay $109 or $119 a year and that is already a lot of money.
If you’re only going to use your Clear membership at airports, you’re definitely at a loss. It’s better for you to sign up for a Global Entry membership instead which only costs $100 every five years and comes with a TSA Precheck membership.
Not to mention, TSA has also been improving its security lanes lately with the use of express bag drops and facial recognition scanners at the Atlanta Airport. It’s just a matter of time before this technology gets rolled out in other airports too, making CLEAR just a thing of the past.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.