Points Panda has partnered with a variety of financial companies including CreditCards.com for our coverage of credit card products. Points Panda and CreditCards.com may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. For more information please read our full Advertiser Disclosure.
When it comes to companion tickets, Southwest Airlines’ Companion Pass is always the first thing that comes to mind, but did you know that there’s also a Delta Companion Ticket?
Companion tickets go by other names. Some people call them companion fares or companion certificates but they all work the same. They’re basically annual benefits that are offered to certain cardholders where they get to bring one travel companion with them on a round-trip flight.
The ticket can be redeemed for an Economy, Premium Economy, Business, or First Class flight depending on the type of credit card you have.
Don’t worry, we’ll discuss more what Delta Companion Tickets are and how you can use them the right way.
What Is the Delta Companion Ticket?
The Delta Companion Ticket is only offered on select Delta credit cards. It is credited into the cardholder’s Delta account automatically after card approval and every card renewal.
For example, if you applied for a credit card and got approved on December 7, 2022, you’ll automatically get your Delta Companion Ticket right away. Your next companion ticket will be given to you on December 7, 2023, after you’ve paid your annual fee.
Additionally, Delta has also issued a few policies on how these companion fares can be used.
- The Delta Companion Certificate can only be used within the 48 contiguous U.S. If you’re a resident of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands (proof of residency must reflect on your Delta account), you may originate from these four places as long as you’re traveling to one of the 48 contiguous states.
- The primary cardholder doesn’t need to fly for the companion certificate to take effect. For example, the primary cardholder can purchase a regular ticket for his wife and then use the companion ticket for his mother. However, the “paid ticket” and the “companion ticket” must be booked on the same flight.
- Companion certificates can’t be used on flight reservations that were already purchased.
- Companion certificates can’t be transferred once the flight is confirmed. If you choose to cancel the flight, you’ll end up forfeiting the companion certificate.
- The primary cardholder and the companion are eligible for seat upgrades if they are either a Delta SkyMiles member, Medallion member, or SkyTeam Alliance partner airline elite member. The upgrades will be based on the passenger’s highest elite status.
- Companion fares may require an advance purchase of up to 14 days. The passengers must also stay within the arrival destination for a minimum of 3 days to a maximum of 30 days.
- When using companion tickets, flights must be booked and completed on or before the expiration date.
- Companion fares cannot be redeemed for a stopover and open jaw flights.
- The traveling companion will not earn Delta SkyMiles. Only the primary cardholder will earn miles.
While Delta Companion Tickets are basically free tickets, you do have to pay taxes and fees. Take note that buying or selling a companion ticket is not allowed by Delta. If caught, Delta will terminate your account.
Read More: What Are The Main Delta Hubs In The US?
Which Delta Cards Have A Companion Ticket?
There are only four Delta credit cards that offer a Delta Companion Ticket and these are:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card: Earn 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $4,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first six months of account opening. Offer ends 11/9/22.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card: Earn 85,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/9/22.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card: Earn 95,000 bonus miles after you spend $6,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first six months of account opening. Offer ends 11/9/22.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve® Business American Express Card: Earn 100,000 Bonus Miles after spending $6,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/9/22.
Cardholders of the Platinum card can redeem the companion ticket for economy-class flights, specifically the L, U, T, X, and V fare classes. The E class and some higher coach fare classes are not included.
Meanwhile, cardholders of Reserve cards can redeem the companion ticket for Main Cabin, Delta Comfort Plus, or First Class flights. This means you can use the ticket for all economy fare classes listed above and I and Z (first class) and W (Comfort+).
How To Use the Delta Companion Ticket
You can only redeem the Delta Companion Ticket directly on delta.com. It can’t be used on third-party websites.
After logging in, check the upper right portion of your dashboard to see your available companion tickets.
From there, you can also search for available flights where you can use your companion ticket. Take note that you can use the ticket on any eligible flight regardless of its price – so the higher the price means, the higher value you’ll get from this benefit.
Read More: How To Access The Delta Sky Club Lounges
Delta Companion Ticket FAQS
What Is A Delta Companion Ticket?
A Delta Companion Ticket is a benefit offered on the personal and business versions of the Delta SkyMiles Platinum & Reserve cards. The primary cardholder can get a free ticket for one traveling companion but taxes and fees need to be paid.
Where Can I Travel With My Companion Ticket?
The Companion Ticket can be used to book flights within the contiguous 48 states. If you live in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Alaska, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, you may start your trip from these locations but you still have to travel within the 48 contiguous states.
For example, you can use your companion ticket to book a round-trip flight from Hawaii to Los Angeles but you can’t use the ticket to book a round-trip flight from Los Angeles to Hawaii.
Can You Use The Companion Certificate Without The Primary Cardholder Flying?
The primary cardholder doesn’t need to fly, however, a “paid ticket” is still required before you can use the companion ticket. For example, the primary cardholder can purchase a regular ticket for his wife and then use the companion ticket for his child.
Additionally, the paid ticket and companion ticket must be booked on the same flight.
Can I Keep My Delta Companion Ticket Even If I Cancel My Delta Credit Card?
Yes. You get to keep your companion certificate until its expiration date even if you cancel your credit card.
Will I Receive 4 Companion Tickets If I Get All Four Delta Credit Cards?
Yes. You can get the business and personal versions of the Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Reserve cards and also get 4 companion tickets.
Read More: Choosing The Best Delta Choice Benefits
Companion fares are the best perks that credit cards can offer because they can instantly pay off the annual fees of your card.
For example, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card has a $250 annual fee and round-trip Economy flights from Detroit to Los Angeles typically cost around $400. If you use the companion certificate every year, it’s like getting $400 worth of free flights which is more than enough to compensate the cost of your annual fee.
PointsPanda Deal of the Week!
Looking for the best flight deals? Each week we'll send you updates with the best deals on flights and hotels both using points and cash.